The funny thing about a blog is you can put yourself out there for the entire internet to see. You can write about all these amazing things that happen in your life, or the most fantastic dinner, or animal health or anything you want. But you don’t have to write about the ugly things. In fact it is almost an unwritten rule in the blog world that you keep your dirty laundry to yourself. You don’t share about your failures, or short comings, or bad temper. You don’t share about your messy porch, or sink full of dishes. And to go along with this unwritten rule you don’t share ugly pictures either. Everything must be beautiful and perfect.
I don’t want to be one of those bloggers. And while yes it is much more satisfying to tell you all about the good things in life or the ways I triumphed over evil, it just isn’t real. I can hide behind words on this blog, and perfectly balanced pictures. I can crop and edit and change the way things appear to fool you into thinking that everything here is perfect.
I don’t know about you, but I have a hard enough time as it is running after perfect. Try as I may I can never fully catch it. My home, or marriage, or faith, or even cooking style is never ever perfect. And I want to make sure you know that.
Those who are closest to me (hello Mom creeping my blog) know most of this about me, but for the rest of you allow me to be brutally honest with you.
- I’m messy. Hubby is forever amazed at how fast I can destroy a perfectly clean kitchen.
- I struggle with my energy levels. Some days I’m a machine. Other days it’s all I can do to continue standing. I am always trying ways to increase my energy, but, more often then not, I feel completely burned out.
- The chicken coop is usually cleaner than my house. I really have no idea why that is, but a messy coop just bothers me.
- I am a master at angling a photo so you don’t see the mess that is stacked all around the object of the photo.
- I am not really skilled in anything. I do lots of research and love to know things, but I am not a professional in anything.
- I hate vacuuming.
- I drag myself to church some Sundays. And then I have to work very hard to keep myself from being distracted.
- My linen closet is so disorganized I have to do the hold and slam. You know the move where you hold everything back so that the door will actually fit where it is supposed to and then you pull your hand away really fast while slamming the door shut. Ya, pretty disgraceful.
- Sometimes I forget to bake bread.
- I have let my yogurt culture die several times because I forgot to make a new batch.
- Sometimes I bake plain old white bread.
- My guilty pleasure is store bought frozen waffles. I’m pretty sure they’re on the list of “top 10 foods that are so unhealthy you are a terrible person if you buy it“.
- I love to eat out. We don’t eat out nearly as often as we used to, and I do love home cooked meals. I love cooking from scratch. But sometimes I don’t want to cook or clean up the mess. Sometimes I just want to eat.
- The last time I went grocery shopping I bought boxed mac and cheese. I’m pretty sure that tops the lists of bad things to buy.
- I cannot make biscuits, or pancakes from scratch. I try so hard, and follow the recipes exactly. I just cannot do it. I have no idea what is wrong with me.
- French fries are my weakness.
- I seem to have a lot of food confessions.
- Not everything I bake or cook turns out. For example I made a pumpkin pie the other day and completely forgot about the sugar! I was so excited because I even grew the pumpkin myself (this was my first time growing pumpkins). But in the end the pie just tasted like a weird pumpkin quiche that’s a tad on the salty side. It’s sitting in my refrigerator until I figure out what to do with it.
- My chickens ate the majority of my tomatoes. Try as I may I cannot keep them inside their paddock. Hubby and I have decided we need to clip their wings, but have yet to have gotten to it.
- The computer desk is my drop off point for coffee mugs in this house. When the cupboard gets empty (we only have 4 good coffee mugs), Hubby just gives me the look and I sheepishly go and get them.
This blog is my journal for things I don’t want to forget, things I get excited about, and recipes that I want to remember. Never ever have I been or ever will be perfect. So before you think I’m some goat milking, gardening, cleaning, cooking, always put together wonder woman – think again. I am far from it.
Shared With: Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop